Sunday, June 28, 2009

All Essays I Have Written In Class

My Reflective Essay

I am 17 years old born to the Squires family in Indianapolis, Indiana but I was raised in Stone Mountain Georgia. My parents are divorced so I live with my dad along with my little brother, William Squires III. The Squires family revolves around sports. My dad is a sports fanatic because that’s all he talks about especially when I’m around it seems like. He always reminisces about the times when he was young playing football, basketball, wrestling, and running track. It gets on my nerves from time to time because he brings it up at the wrong time. My dad kind of forced me into sports.
I started playing sports in the 1st grade. Baseball was my first sport, then football. In baseball, I have won MVP awards and best hitter awards but the sport was not entertaining me so I quit and stuck with football. First football was not my best sport because I was a little twig being pushed around all the time. I could not quit because I did not want to be known as a quitter. As the years went by, my body adjusted and my skills got better. So far football has paid my way to college but I do not expect it to get me to the pros. I plan on furthering my education and major in business and hopefully have a good job in the future that would pay the bills easily.
The pros is not something I would want to rely on. It’s just a plus if I make it to the pros but anything could happen. I could quit, get hurt or not have a spot on the college team and have no chance in the pros. I think education is something to fallback on and prepare for the future just in case.
Prison Trip

People make mistakes in life. Mistakes lead to consequences. Prison is a big consequence. At 10:15 a.m. the students and I got on the bus for a visit to the Perry County correctional center. When we arrived at the prison, it shocked me because the prison was surrounded by an electric fence so the prisoners could not escape. Inside the prison are guards protecting the halls from any dangers. The guards job is very important and dangerous. They watch everything that goes on in the prison. They make sure crazy outbreaks do not happen.
Prisoners do not get much to eat. The food they get could not fill up a child. The prisoners are not aloud to deal with chemicals as in detergent, liquid medicine or anything used for drugs or a dangerous hazard to harm someone else. Pens, Knives and jewelry are not allowed for the prisoners because they are identified as weapons. Belts are also not allowed. They can be used for suicide or a weapon for choking others.
The worse parts about prison were diseases lurking around. Some prisoners are HIV positive or have TB so guards and doctors have to take precaution. Every room had an air pressure system to suck up all the diseases lingering in the air. Because of the air pressure, the prison did not have air condition in most rooms so the rooms were hot if its hot outside or cold if the weather is cold. The rooms in the prison were no bigger than the dorms in Concordia College. The doors were concealed with several locks with a little window used by the guards to watch the prisoners every move. Most rooms had 2 to 6 people. Each room could be filled with whites, blacks, Mexicans, Asians, killer, and abusers. So a prisoner has to constantly stay alert to survive.
I learned that prison is not a place I should be in. Keeping a good head on my shoulders should keep me out .Being roomed with crazy mates would bother me. I would not know who to trust.
Women Vs Men
Women vs. men in sports. ( 1999). Retrieved from
http://www.womanshealth.org/a/women_

Author’s credentials: Anatomists have studied the male and female body.
Claim: Men are better than woman at sports.
Support:
· The women’s body is too weak to handle exercise.
· Men have been engaging in sports and exercising about as long as men existed.
· Women have a lot of ground to catch up to catch up with men.
Warrants:

· Women’s best marathon times are about ten minutes behind men’s.

· The best times for men have improved by a yearly increment of 66 seconds. While woman’s times have improved by a yearly increment of 2 minutes and 47 seconds.

Women vs. Men in sports Summary

Men are better than women in sports. Women may not be as skilled as men because of there lack of muscle strength. It might be other reasons but anatomists have studied the difference between a male and female body to find the solution. The female body is the weaker form of the male body. Since the beginning of time, men have contributed in sports but women have not. Every year men constantly break records while women slowly break them but woman are slowly catching up to men though. Over the years woman have been getting more aggressive and participating in sports men normally do such as boxing. They are slowly getting stronger and building skill which over time woman may compete with men but for now, men are the dominate ones in sports.
God's Love
God’s love-the gift. (2009). Retrieved from
http://www.allaboutphillosophy.org/gods-love.htm

Author’s credentials: Author of All About Philosophy

Claim: God’s love and whom it is for.

Support:
“This is God’s love! “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save world through him ( John 3:16-17)
God’s love towards us, His estranged creation, is graphically depicted in the sacrifice He made on our behalf. “ Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” ( John 15: 13NIV)

Warrant:

Gods love towards his creation.

Exigence:

“ Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” ( John 15:13NIV)
Summary

The Information tells about God’s love. God is the one who created life. Jesus, the immortal God, gave his life on a cross for our sins. God gave his son the world. God loves us because we were his creation. He is willing to help and pick you up when you are down. The ones who believe in Jesus shall have eternal. God lay down his life for others so we can have a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment